Friday 2 June 2017

Discovering - Use a Cavas for A Vintage Journey

Hello friends, today is the start of a new challenge over at A Vintage Journey and the lovely and talented Nikki has chosen the theme "Use A Canvas". Here is the canvas that I put together for the challenge:

Our sponsor this month is Shimmerz
One randomly chosen winner will receive a voucher for $25 to spend in their store!

I used a 5 x 7 canvas board, I love these as they can also be used as special cards for friends. I called it Discovering, because of the word from my quote and while using a canvas is hardly a new discovery for me, I discovered several things along the way. Below is the recipe and just a few step out photos:
1: Add some strips of vintage book paper to your canvas.
2: Cover it with a thin layer of watered down gesso.
3. Add some acrylic paint, I used two Paper Artsy Frescos, Vanilla and Buff and painted mostly around the outside of my board, making sure the paper kept showing.
4. Add colour with Distress Oxides, using a blending tool, I used Vintage Photo, Broken China and Cracked Pistachio and several Shimmerz sprays that match these colours to perfection:I Vibez\ Green Acres and Jeni B Bleu.
5. Add the tiniest bit of Infusions, I used "A Bit Jaded", plus a couple of sprays of Distress Spray in Ground Espresso.
6. Add some stenciling using a Distress Crayon, Vintage photo used here and Cracked Pistachio with some Tim Layering stencils.Follow with some background background stamping. Stamps used here are by Seth Apter and Wendy Vecchi.
7. Select some embellishments, mine came either from my scrapbox or were stamped, using Tim Holtz stamps. The gent is one of his paper dolls.
8. Arrange them until you are happy with the result and add some shadow around you focal image, - done :o). As you can see a couple of Ideaology pieces also found their way onto the canvas for a finishing touch. Below a few close ups still:
I added colour to the wander charm using a Distress crayon, - this works much better for me than using paint the way Tim shows, I always mess that up...
The sentiment was stamped on a piece of coffee stained paper left over from a previous project.
And that was pretty much it. Make sure you check out the wonderful canvasses my teamies have created over on A Vintage Journey, - and hopefully you will decide to play along, you can read all the details over on the blog there, and trust me, working on a canvas is great fun!
Thanks for your visit like always and have a wonderful month!!
xxxxx

29 comments:

Susan said...

I am so very glad I found your site. I am always enthralled with your work. I look forward everyday for your posts and thank you so much for sharing your creations.

Valerie-Jael said...

Fantastic canvas. Hugs, Valerie

Brenda Brown said...

A fabulous canvas board with wonderful layers and added elements to create your mixed media masterpiece. Love this Astrid xxx

chrissie said...

A wonderful canvas and everything just goes so well together. It is easy to imagine the impressive man saying the quote that you added.

Have a great day

Love Chrissie xx

Maryann Laursen said...

Such an awesome canvas here, and such amazing colors, you´ve used on it. I just love that jade color, it gives such a fresh splash to it all, and hold things a bit more together, I think. I love it, you´ve done an awesome job here again.
Have a wonderful and fun week-ehead here now everyone.

froebelsternchen said...

That's one AMAZING canvas- gorgeous!
Happy weekend dear Astrid!
oxo Susi

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Beautiful masculine canvas, love your mixed media art :) xx

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Love your background Astrid, the text paper being visible is fabulous and adds such fantastic detail and the perfect backdrop for your imagery. Love all the layers you added and the colours are fantastic. Have a lovely weekend. Tracy x

Let's Art Journal said...

What a wonderful canvas! I enjoyed reading and seeing how you created it step by step, thanks for sharing 😀. The background is amazing with those beautiful Distress Ink colours and stencils. Happy Friday and wishing you a lovely weekend! J 😊

Dorthe said...

Such gorgeous background you created for the gentleman and his dog, Astrid and wonderful with the Infusion,´!!
Hugs, Dorthe

Jenny Marples said...

Fantastic to see this canvas come to life Astrid. I love the whole collage of elements and vintage feel xx

Meggymay said...

A fabulous canvas Astrid, loved seeing the photos showing the stages as you created it.
Yvonne xx

Nikki Acton said...

You always seem to compose with such ease! Wonderful design, stunning background and composition. xx

Helen Wallace said...

Always a delight to call in and see what you've been doing and the step by step is a bonus. It allows a peek into the process as well as the finished product. I have some of Tim's paper dolls on order and looking forward to having a play when they arrive. Thanks for the inspiration.

Julia Aston said...

what a wonderful background you created with your layers of paper, stenciling, inks and ephemera Astrid - a lovely design on your canvas project! Julia xx

Ibarra Creations 4U said...

Love your canvas - wonderful colors! Thank you for sharing the step by step photos.

Annie said...

Totally love your fantastic canvas Astrid x amazing background with layers of papers, stencilling and I love the collage details too
Stunning xx
Have a lovely weekend
Annie xx

S@ndy Diller said...

I always love to see what you create and I'm never disappointed. Love this canvas and your use colors and layers. S@ndy xx

Redanne said...

A gorgeous canvas Astrid, I love that you can still see the text in the background and all those wonderful textures create such depth! So, so beautiful! xxx

sarascloset said...

I so enjoyed reading about your process, and the end result is gorgeous texture and lovely vintage colors on your background! Your elements all work so perfectly together, and using the crayon on the metal embellishment is such a great idea. I need to try that, because I always mess mine up, too! Wonderful vintage canvas! Hugs!

Words and Pictures said...

Great collaging over the fantastic depth of your layered background. I adore the game spinner plus token, especially with the bright lettering. Fabulous canvas inspiration!
Alison x

A Pink said...

A really fabulous canvas, Astrid, that I have looked forward to seeing in detail from when you first posted . Just love how you have worked the canvas- so much detail and depth so effortlessly created and accentuated with the wonderful selection of embellishments arranged just perfectly.A great step by step - tfs .
hugs x

SewPaperPaint said...

I love this background to bits and love how you layered the ephemera! The man and dog are awesome focal images and work so beautifully with your vintage design. Hugs, Autumn

Unknown said...

Your canvas makes me want to find a historical novel that includes your gent and his dog. Considering all that you have included in your FABULOUS creation - it would be an incredible read!!! REALLY WONDERFUL Astrid. Xj.

Nora said...

Love the background you created! The whole thing is just wonderful!

Marjie Kemper said...

Ooooh, what a beauty! Love this, Astrid.

Anjas-Artefaktotum said...

WOW that is breathtaking!

Deb said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous Astrid! Adore all of those lovely vintage layers topped with those fabulous ephemera embellishments, wonderful composition, love it to pieces! Deb xo

Paper Profusion said...

This looks fantastic Astrid - love your layout! Nicola x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key